Apr 23, 2009

Reminiscing about Gaming

I read Wil Wheaton's blog regularly...ok maybe obsessively. Seriously, I am addicted. I follow him on Twitter (www.twitter.com/wilw) so I know when he has updated his blog. Reading Wil's work has made me admit I am comfortable with my childhood geekiness, and sometime miss it. I am proud of my adult geekiness!

Then came the fateful day when Wil linked to a series of D&D podcasts - the folks from Penny Arcade, PVP and Wil sat down with Wizards of the Coast for a 4th Edition D&D session. Listening to them play through, laughing often (these guys are funny!), celebrating their natural 20s, wincing when they rolled 1s, and totally geeking out ... it was great.

It made me remember my childhood days of playing D&D - starting with the red covered Basic set, moving up through Expert, Companion, and eventually Master. And then changing to AD&D - it was so much more complex! Many of my childhood days were spent rolling up characters, carefully drawing maps on graph paper, lovingly collecting dice (really, how many sets of dice do you actually need? Ask any gamer - you always need more!)

Years passed, and then in my early twenties I worked in a comic book / gaming store, and I got back into it all. Our system of choice was GURPS, but we also played a little Rifts, dabbled in Vampire the Masqerade, etc. I also got introduced to table top wargames - we played Epic (2nd edition, before they "improved it" - I had massive Chaos army) and were just getting into Warhammer Fantasy (Dwarf army) when things changed, I went back to school and then moved. I think back on the hours we would all sit around a table, painting miniatures, discussing the latest roleplaying session, weighing the pros and cons of a new strategy for Epic ... I really miss those days!

I really have a strong urge to find a gaming group and get back into it all! But will it be like I remember? I dunno....

Thanks Wil, for sharing and celebrating your geekiness with us all.

No comments:

Post a Comment